We all worry. We have stress, anxiety, fears and if we aren’t worrying about the present situation, we are thinking ahead and worrying about the future. I don’t have a fool proof way to stop our worries at the snap of the fingers, but I think this list can help us understand worrying and change our thoughts.
Worrying accomplishes nothing – Worrying counteracts our progression in life. The more we worry the less we accomplish. Think of a time you have worried about something, or currently are worrying about…write down how many hours you waste thinking of it a day and then times that by the approximate times you have thought about this same issue before… that probably adds up huh? Been there, done that. Worrying does not accomplish anything, and takes away precious hours, or days of our lives.
Worrying is not good for you – Worrying is a mental barrier that can actually cause us to become sick. Dealing with your worries by trusting God and relying on close friends or family is key. You are not alone and chances are you are not the only one who worries about whatever you are going through so find support because worrying is not good for you…mentally or physically.
Worrying is the opposite of trusting God – We spend too much time on worry, which we should be placing on God and then TRUSTING that He will take care of it. Be more hopeful and trusting in prayers and give up your worries. He WANTS to do that for us. Talk about it with the Lord and work things out with the one who can be your biggest support and cheerleader in your life.
And remember: YOU have control over your thoughts. We can actually choose joy by setting our thoughts and actions accordingly. With that being said, find your happy place and choose joy, not anxiety, stress, or fear.
>> What the Bible says:
- Phil. 4:6,7 “Do not worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.”
- Joshua 1:9 “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”
- Luke 12:25 “And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life?”
- Matthew 6:25-34 “Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.”
- Gal. 1:10 “Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ.”
- Jeremiah 29:11 “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
- 1 Peter 5:7-10 “Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you. Stay alert! Watch out for your great enemy, the devil. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour. Stand firm against him, and be strong in your faith. Remember that your Christian brothers and sisters all over the world are going through the same kind of suffering you are. In his kindness God called you to share in his eternal glory by means of Christ Jesus. So after you have suffered a little while, he will restore, support, and strengthen you, and he will place you on a firm foundation.”
- Proverbs 12:25 “Worry weighs a person down; an encouraging word cheers a person up.”
- Jeremiah 17:7,8 “Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose trust is the Lord. They will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit.”
- Psalm 56:3,4 “When I am afraid, I put my trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I shall not be afraid. What can flesh do to me?”
- John 16:33 “I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.”
- Phil. 4:13 “I can do all things through him who strengthens me.”
- Isaiah 55:1-3 “Come, everyone who thirsts, come to the waters; and he who has no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without price. Why do you spend your money for that which is not bread, and your labor for that which does not satisfy? Listen diligently to me, and eat what is good, and delight yourselves in rich food. Incline your ear, and come to me; hear, that your soul may live; and I will make with you an everlasting covenant, my steadfast, sure love for David.”
- Luke 10:41,42 “But the Lord answered her, “Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her.”
- John 11:40 “Jesus said to her, “Did I not tell you that if you believed you would see the glory of God?”